Adding Value from Curb Appeal to Backyard Oasis

By August 13, 2018 Selling No Comments

When looking to add value to a seller’s home, they tend to look to the interior. They want to find the simple cosmetic or DIY projects that can translate into great returns. However, there’s one area that’s often overlooked…the home’s exterior. Trying to increase your property’s backyard and curb appeal can seem like a daunting task, but investing in the proper outdoor solutions be can extremely beneficial.

Here are 3 outdoor solutions that will add value to your home, regardless of the buyer.

1. Lawn Care and Gardens

Your front yard is the first impression of your home. That first impression sets the mood for the rest of the visit, so you might as well make it a good one! With beautiful gardens, a well-kept lawn and clean walkways, you can give your front yard that ‘wow factor’ that is absent from so many other homes. Although lawn care and gardens can require a significant investment in terms of both time and effort, the correct plant selection along with regular maintenance can be very rewarding. There are also helpful tools available, such as irrigation systems, that will help to minimize the amount of work required (not to mention its positive impact when the time comes to sell). Just make sure to check with city regulations/restrictions on water usage and depth of install before getting started.

Other lawn care investments that can add to your home’s value are edging services for your gardens and mulching areas. Whether you use a landscaping service or choose to put in the work yourself, this simple improvement will give your garden a crisp and clean feel and catch the eye of any buyer.

2. Updated Siding

Once you’ve taken care of the lawn and gardens, it’s time to move on to the siding. Many buyers are prepared to tackle renovation projects inside the home, but aren’t quite as confident when it comes to updating the siding and insulation behind it. By tackling this project, they can enjoy a more energy efficient home and don’t need to worry about the upkeep of old siding. And compared to the return it can deliver, updating the siding on a mid-sized house is fairly cheap!

3. Fence and Deck

When updating the exterior of your property, it’s important not to neglect the backyard. A fence and deck can be the perfect addition to any yard, both big and small. Many buyers shy away from homes without fencing. They see the expense associated with putting one in, but most importantly, it affects how they feel about your property. Even though they know that they can have a fence installed, they perceive the property as ‘lacking privacy’.

At Boyer Premier Fence, we recommend crafting a backyard oasis that is functional, sustainable and requires little upkeep for the next homeowners. With today’s home built so close together, it’s important to pick the right fence that works for your neighbourhood. The great thing about fences and decks is that, if taken care of, they don’t need to be repaired or replaced for 10-15 years. A well-built structure in your backyard adds privacy, extends your living space and adds value to your home.

Most homeowners forget about the exterior of their homes when updating. Although this may be a negative for them, it results in a great opportunity for you. An opportunity to set your home apart from others and have it looked upon far more favourably.

To learn more about how you can build an outdoor oasis while adding value to your home, visit www.premierfence.ca. Or to find the perfect house for your next outdoor project, reach out to the TrilliumWest team today!

Garret Mott

About Garret Mott

Handsome. Funny. Artistic. Since I couldn’t be any of those things, I figured I might as well be knowledgeable. I’m a UofG grad with a passion for real estate, sports and fitness. And I’m always happy to grab a drink and discuss any of those topics