Sign up with your email address to be the first to know about new products, VIP offers, blog features & more.

Life in Rockwood, Chapter One – Community Profile

If you aren’t familiar with where it’s located, I am sure you have heard of it!  Rockwood is the largest urban centre in Guelph/Eramosa Township and is nestled between the Town of Halton Hills (Acton) and the City of Guelph along Highway 7 with about an eight minute drive to both and 15 minutes to Highway 401. It is also located just outside of the ‘Technology Triangle” in Waterloo Region.

Rockwood has become a popular place for families from the GTA to settle over the past decade looking for a slower pace and more house for their money. The population is approx 4630 with the bulk being educated working age (66% age 15-64), followed by children (18.7% age 0-14) and seniors (15.1% age 65+) according to 2016 Census.  The majority of housing is detached with a small selection of semi-detached and townhouses. There are very few condo, apartment and rental options. Rural Rockwood is primarily farms and one acre+ properties.

SCHOOLS: The townships schools fall under the Upper Grand District School Board and Wellington Catholic School Board. There are three elementary schools: Rockwood Centennial Public School services half of the community and most rural students. It is located in older Rockwood next to the conservation area. Harris Mill Public School is located in the ‘newer’ part and also offers French Immersion. Sacred Heart Catholic School is in the north end and takes kids from all over Rockwood and rural areas. All High School students are bussed to Guelph with most attending John F. Ross Collegiate. Rockwood Nursery School is located downtown and takes preschool aged children.

SPORTS & RECREATION: Rockmosa Park is a main feature in the community offering baseball diamonds, soccer pitch, lite tennis court, basketball court, splash pad, skateboard park, playgrounds and more. The library and community hall are also located here. There are several sports clubs such as Rockwood FC and Rockwood Eramosa Minor Ball Association. Several private groups offer exercise and yoga classes. There are many equestrian facilities in and around Rockwood and several outdoor ice rinks and a few toboggan hills.

The Eramosa River runs through Rockwood and provides from some beautiful scenery, trails and parks. A natural wonder itself, Rockwood Conservation Area offers cliffs, caves and glacial potholes that are great for hiking, kayaking/canoeing and seasonal camping. The area also offers a pavillion, beach and the historic Harris Woolen Mill Ruins. Guelph Lake Conservation is a short drive away.

SHOPPING/SERVICES/FOOD: Many local services are offered including grocery, hardware, bank, gas, pharmacy, dentist, doctor, optometrist, chiropractor, lawyer, vet services, salon/spa, gift shops, churches and tech services. There are a handful of food spots including bakeries, cafes, restaurants, pizza and a candy store. For a full list check out www.get.on.ca/exploredowntownrockwood. There are also seasonal farmers markets, many rural farms that offer fresh produce and eggs, attractions and several festivals. What isn’t here you can easily find a short drive away.

TRANSPORTATION: Commuters can grab the GO bus as it passes through from Guelph or Acton. If the bus can’t service your needs you will have to rely on a vehicle. With Hwy 7 being the main road in and out of town, riding your bike or walking to the nearest community isn’t recommended as the speed limit is generally 80km. Services such as cabs or Uber are usually a bit more expensive as they come from neighbouring communities.

Having the option of shopping and playing locally, as well as having every amenity you need within a short driving distance is what draws many people to the area. Not to mention friendly people, fresh air, nature in your backyard and a strong feeling of community. I love this area and  think it’s one of the best places to live!  I feel fortunate I get to live and raise my family here. If you think Rockwood is where you want to be, speaking with a knowledgeable local Realtor with roots in the community is a great start.

Stay tuned for the next two parts of my blog series that will focus and how much real estate costs in Rockwood and a look at housing prices here compared to our larger neighbours Guelph and Milton.