Sign up with your email address to be the first to know about new products, VIP offers, blog features & more.

More than just function in The Junction

When we speak of Guelph neighbourhoods, there are a few that immediately come to mind…we all know what ones I am speaking of, but that my friends, is not what I want to talk about. There is another little hood that you may not have heard about, and this pocket of the city is called The Junction. Tucked away, just west of Edinburgh Rd and north of Waterloo Ave, this dynamic neighbourhood is just bustling with activity.

It all starts with the tree lined streets, the houses are packed to the brim with charm. The location –  it is closer to downtown than you might think. You will be able to walk to the Guelph farmers market, a plethora of yummy restaurants, all the amenities the downtown core has to offer is in your backyard – so to speak 😉  You will find a strong sense of community here, with their summertime porchfest – bringing music and people together. As well as their annual street parties, and even a winterfest. But this is just the beginning of what makes this area so unique.

The Junction is a neighbourhood all about keeping things authentic. Local is always the flavour of the day. There is a certain authenticity that flows down the streets so naturally here. And this neighbourhood’s identity is just starting to emerge.  Everyone knows exactly what you are speaking of when you mention Exhibition, St George’s, Sunny Acres…the Junction is just starting to gain attention, and so it should – keep reading, you’ll see…

Have you heard of Two Sisters River? They are a locals that have opened their doors, and yards to embrace, plus educate the community on the movement of urban farming. In the summer they have weekly potluck dinners where they shut down the street and everyone joins in for feast and festivities. And at this time the locals can pick up their CSA (community shared agriculture) share. If you have never heard of CSA, it is a program where local farmers bring in seasonal fruits and veg to distribute to those who participate in the share. I have participated in these shares before, and it was great – nothing beats right out of the garden freshness.

Another great development to come out of this neighbourhood is the Backyard Bok Boks. As you know, Guelph is one city that it is perfectly legal, and some may say a trendy thing to do, is raise chickens. Bok Boks is a great resource for those who want to join the trend of chickens in the city. Now I don’t personally have chickens, but some of my neighbours do. Besides the benefits of the fresh eggs, and healthier environment for the chickens themselves, they are soothing to watch – almost therapeutic. They aren’t for everyone, but they are certainly embraced in The Junction.

When it comes to value, there is loads to be found in this here. I had to do some calculations here. But for shits and giggles, I am going to compare detached, single family homes, under 2000 sq/ft, that sold over the last 3 years, in the neighbourhoods of The Junction, Exhibition Park, Sunny Acres and St. George’s. Keep in mind that these are just averages, but you can see a pattern, and it proves my point.

Neighbourhood_stats

Now, for the most part, the average price went up roughly $30 000 a year, which also translates into an 8% increase from 2014 to 2015. Prices continued to increase from 2015 to 2016, except for The Junction, it actually decreased by 4%! The reasoning…we have seen an influx of out of town buyers driving up the prices in the more well know areas of Guelph –  The Junction being lesser known is flying under the radar – leaving value to be found in this pocket of the city, sweet!!

Not only are you getting more bang for your buck, you are achieving it in a neighbourhood that offers all of the desirable attributes commonly found in areas like Exhibition Park, Sunny Acres and St. George’s, without the huge price tags that go along with those names. You will be apart of the growing identity in what makes a neighbourhood great, nothing wrong with that! You can’t go wrong with this great little hood.  If you have the chance, join in on one of their community celebrations – everyone is welcome, in fact the more the merrier! Here is a link to their Facebook page,https://www.facebook.com/JunctionNeighbourhoodGroup/  you can keep up to date with their goings on.  Check it out, you will be pleasantly surprised.