Monthly Archives: December 2016

investpredictions_2017

2017 Investment Fortune Telling

By | Investment Property | No Comments

2016 has been a crazy year of major price increases and general pandemonium within the Guelph real estate market. We’ve seen popular student complexes such as 1155 Gordon St jump $40,000 in just three short months, and watched bidding wars take place on properties that would have otherwise sat on the market for weeks, without a single buyer in sight, just a few short years ago. With the unprecedented rising prices in certain complexes within the Guelph student investment market in such a short period of time, you have to wonder if the other complexes prices will follow suit? Although…

Read More
smokyhouse

Buying or Selling a Smokey Home

By | Buying, Selling | No Comments

Even in the kind of wild seller’s market like we are seeing in Guelph, it’s always not easy to sell a home. A few things can be fairly consistent deterrents among buyers, and one of them is smoke odour. Yes, a smokey house can prove a bit challenging for buyers to overcome. But many of them can…. In addition to the general turn-off, many people point to the health implications of what is called ‘third hand smoke’ – smoke coming off of things like walls, upholstery, etc. I’ve watched people walk up to a house and turn around before they’re even through the front door,…

Read More
mindset

The 2017 Student Investor Mindset

By | Investment Property | No Comments

It’s a familiar story, your child has decided to go off to university and you as the parent are thinking about turning their education into an investment by way of the student rental property. You have done your research, the numbers work, and you are financially prepared to make the purchase of a student rental, good to go, right? (buzzer noise) Not quite. Student rental investment season in Guelph is right around the corner, and even though you are financially prepared to take on the investment, it is important to make sure that you are also mentally prepared. Kyle Woods…

Read More
builderfocus_remley

Skilled Build | Allen Remley Custom Homes

By | New Construction | No Comments

I met with Allen Remley on the site of one of his current renovation projects here in Guelph, this particular one is on Division St. The ambitious endeavour is a complete build from the existing foundation upwards. Everything moves in an organized fashion in an Allen Remley home. While I sat and chatted with him exterior decking were being installed and inside Shawn Broader was installing the drywall. Allen was in his work clothes and when I arrived he was busily helping tradesman get the job done. We sat on a couple of two step ladders and had a coffee…

Read More
rockwood_chapter1

It’s all good in Rockwood – Chapter One

By | I Love My Neighbourhood | No Comments

So here we go! Chapter One in my little series of blogs about why I just LOVE living and working in Rockwood, Ontario. There is nothing too fancy here, it’s just me speaking for my heart about the place I call home. I love living in Rockwood, for dozens of reasons, location, access (to cities great and small) and so many other reasons, but this time of year, it’s all about one magical evening – The Rockwood Farmers Santa Claus Parade of Lights!    Our first Christmas here in Rockwood was 12 years ago now.  Our neighbours had told us…

Read More
tearit_repairit

Tear it OR Repair it

By | Buying, New Construction | No Comments

Many are finding it difficult to find that “perfect” home in Guelph right now with prices soaring in this competitive market.  The resale market is tough right now, there is no disputing that.  The houses that have the floorpan, upgrades, and big lots are the homes that everybody is looking for.  Seller’s are holding back offers for a week and then all hell breaks loose as multiple offers fly in all at once on offer day.  The result: these sought after homes are selling at record breaking prices per square foot, and to stay competitive aside from price, buyer’s are…

Read More