Monthly Archives: March 2016

IFYOULIVEDHERE_CAMPUSESTATES

If you lived here – Campus Estates, South Guelph

By | Buying | No Comments

Most of us are familiar with this fine city as a whole.  Through this series I will be exploring and opening your eyes to the smaller sections of Guelph; the neighbourhoods you may not be as familiar with.  I’m going to start with an area that is very near and dear to my heart! I want to introduce you to Campus Estates. Located in the ever changing, ever growing south end and within walking distance to the University of Guelph. Most of the houses in this area were built between 1960 and 1990 which means the quiet streets are lined…

Read More
vintagehomes

Vintage Home Restoration – Preserve the old & accommodate the new

By | Buying | One Comment

Colonization of Ontario had taken root in the 1600’s, That’s 4oo+ years! Not many homes hit the 400 year mark that are still standing today, but, there are great strides made to preserve a vintage home and buildings as part of the growing Colonial Heritage.  You can see our country’s history in our neighbourhoods.  If you look closely you can see that our needs and wants over the years have changed dramatically, it shows in our lot sizes, in the shapes and amenities of our homes.  Red brick, yellow brick, post World War II bungalows, Suburbia, and now whole subdivisions…

Read More
bullyoffer

What is a Bully Offer?

By | Buying | 2 Comments

Buying a home in Guelph isn’t easy these days. It’s a hot seller’s market, with a shortage of inventory. I’m generally offering guidance to my buyer clients along the lines of, “get ready to dig in,” and “be prepared to offer on a few homes before we land ‘the one’,” and so forth. In the current Guelph real estate market, buying can be a real challenge. It’s a frustrating situation to be in, especially for those who are really ready to buy a home in Guelph. It’s easy to get discouraged and to be tired of the low inventory of…

Read More
kylewoods_investmentreview

The Kyle Woods Student Investment Season Review 2016

By | Investment Property | 2 Comments

One of the things that makes the Guelph student investment market truly unique is that every January and February there is a feeding frenzy of fury and excitement as parents eagerly try to purchase a home for their son or daughter to attend the University of Guelph the following school year. However, once January and February are gone, the market drastically drops off only to be awoken again the following year. Of course, some student homes are bought and sold all throughout the year. Straight investors are always looking for a good buy for investment and if there are leases…

Read More
legal_basement

The Legal Basement Apartment in Guelph

By | Investment Property | 4 Comments

A home with a legal basement apartment is absolutely one of the soundest investments you can make in the Guelph real estate market. First and foremost, it’s crucial to find a Realtor who is well versed in this area. A Realtor who knows the in’s and out’s of the Guelph City Bylaws, is somewhat familiar with construction trades and techniques, and understands the overall value that can be added by making this kind of improvement to a home is the best kind of friend you can have in this situation. Now to be clear, merely having a space in the…

Read More