Monthly Archives: November 2015

METALWORKS_PENTHOUSE

THE METALWORKS | Penthouse Living

By | New Construction | No Comments

Differentiate yourself. Living here says you enjoy the finer things in life.  You value QUALITY over QUANTITY. You will not settle for anything less than the best in design, construction quality, superior finishes, and a standard of living that is second to none. The list below outlines some of the benefits, simplifying your life can offer. LIVE OUTSIDE Relax on your oversized terrace overlooking city views or step outside to enjoy an evening stroll followed by a cappuccino at a local café. MORE TIME No snow to shovel, no gardens to upkeep. You live simply with a quality of life…

Read More
science_selling_2

Selling a Home in a Guelph Termite Zone

By | Selling | One Comment

The City of Guelph is home to a few termite-managed residential neighbourhoods, and living within one of them comes with some realities. The same can be said if you’re selling a home in one of the affected areas. So, what are termites? What we have in Guelph are subterranean termites – non-native, invasive insects that made their way into town accidentally, by way of the United States. They were first detected in the 1970s near Goldie Mill Park, but today we have termite areas in other parts of the city as well. These aren’t your typical creepy crawly critter. Termites…

Read More
science_selling_1

Phase I South Guelph Homesales

By | Selling | No Comments

Like many Guelph natives, on some level, the south end will always be a part of town I’ll think of as somewhat “new.” I mean, in comparison to my home, which was built in the 1800s, almost anything seems new! And, much as I cringe thinking of how old it makes me sound, I seem to recall one or two or three high school dates spent at what is now a strip-mall, but what was – back in the day – the best (and only) venue for mini golf in Guelph (aka, the Pergola.) Truth is, when I was a…

Read More
FIRSTTIMEINVESTOR

First-time investor Fears

By | Investment Property | No Comments

Fear can be a great motivator, but it can also be a great paralyzer too. No matter how young or old you are, if you’ve never bought an investment property in Guelph before, inevitably there will be many fears that you will have about the whole rental and investment process. Before I ever purchased a rental property, there were many questions I had for which I had no answers. I knew I wanted to achieve a goal of owning at least ten income properties outright and be able to live off their income for my retirement, but the big question…

Read More
TREVALLI_DIFFERENCE

Trevalli Homes | Luxury Kitchens

By | New Construction | No Comments

Trevalli Homes believes their quality and attention to detail can only be as good as the people and companies they have partnered with. A commitment to excellence ensures every aspect of the new home construction process is completed with quality workmanship, care and trust.  The Trevalli Difference is a series of articles that will focus on various aspects of new home construction.  In this segment, we will focus on the heart of the home, the kitchen. Trevalli has proudly partnered with The Bamco Group for all their kitchen and custom cabinetry needs.  Like Trevalli Homes, Bamco recruits the best employees…

Read More
GAMEPLAN

First-Time Buyer Gameplan

By | Buying | No Comments

Buying a home should be an exciting and fun process. Not only are you looking for a place in order to potentially move out of mom & dad’s home or to stop paying rent, but you are buying an investment into your future. This blog covers a couple of big questions sometimes first time home buyers are nervous to ask, but shouldn’t be! I mean, how are you supposed to know? Its not like they taught you how to buy a home in school (even though that would have been handy). How do I know if I am ready to…

Read More
parentmath

U of G Parent Math

By | Investment Property | One Comment

So your child is attending the University of Guelph next September, you live out of town and you need to find affordable student housing for the next few years. What do you do? There are two basic options for you at this point: 1.    Rent a room in a house or apartment just for them during this time, Or 2.    Purchase a student rental investment property in which they will live and rent out the other rooms.  With the first option there are some pros and cons. Honestly, it will be less work and responsibility for you, and…

Read More
wentwest

I Went West

Most first time buyers have a similar beginning in that they search for the perfect starter home; a place they picture themselves cooking meals for their family, cozying up on the couch with a glass of wine and a new episode of Grey’s, and lugging in their fresh cut pine and decorating for the holidays. A first time buyer is typically looking for a place they can make lasting memories with close friends and family. Of course along the way there are hurdles; the feeling of defeat and sadness but also happiness, excitement and joy! My first time hunt, however,…

Read More
tinyhouses_1

Love Tiny Houses – Chapter One

I recently went looking at homes with a client: a young, single professional looking for their first home. Being an active, outdoorsy person with a budget up to $350K they decided that would prefer a semi-detached or detached home. This is an entirely reasonable budget if you are willing to be flexible in terms of location, level of finishes, and size. This particular client is very handy, ok with a fixer-upper and loves the Downtown / Exhibition Park / Hewitt Park areas. This means that we have seen several homes ranging in size from 650-1,200 square feet. The overwhelming response…

Read More