Monthly Archives: July 2015

LMN_IMPERIALSOUTH

I love my neighbourhood – Imperial South

By | I Love My Neighbourhood | No Comments

My last move in Guelph plopped me on the very West side of Guelph, in the section we Realtors call Imperial South. I was moving into a house that the former owners of 20+ years were downsizing out of. The neighbours on either side of me were also long-term homeowners on my street and I’m fairly certain when they realized a single guy in his early twenties was moving into the house next to them, they cringed at the thought of the 24 hour partying and noise complaints that would surely come with it. Fortunately for my neighbours that was…

Read More
GETREPPED

Get Repped – Talking buyer representation

By | Buying | No Comments

So you want to buy real estate? Often we are aware when a seller enlists the services of a REALTOR ®.  Generally a sign goes on the lawn, the home is marketed, can be viewed on local real estate boards, MLS, on various websites, and is actively networked amongst real estate professionals. The listing agent is clearly working in the seller’s best interest. Well, what about buyers? What protection and choices do buyers have? Real estate is a big transaction no matter which way you toss the dice and unfortunately there seems to not be as much awareness regarding agency…

Read More
LMN_PINERIDGE

I love my neighbourhood – Pine Ridge / Westminster

By | I Love My Neighbourhood | No Comments

If you’ve lived in Pine Ridge you know what I’m talking about. This little slice of south-end heaven is unique – different. The community was built and designed by Thomasfield Homes, a quality builder in Guelph and surrounding areas. It is Thomasfield that thought of details that have created an oasis in an unlikely location. Demand here is high. And the appreciation in value of these properties is proof. Nature! We all crave it and this neighbourhood delivers. Driving in, you will notice well-manicured and mature medians and round-abouts. Deciduous trees and evergreens are adorned with festive lights during the…

Read More
KNOW_YOURHST

Investing in new builds – know your HST burden

By | Investment Property | No Comments

Buying an investment property can be a thrill like no other, but when it comes to buying new builds for the purpose of investing typically there’s this underlying confusion of who pays the HST, is there a rebate and, if so, how much of it do we get back? I know for me, my first time buying a new build as an investment property was very stressful and confusing since all of the previous investment properties I had purchased up until that point were re-sales. This whole HST owing and rebate thing threw me for a real zinger! So lets…

Read More
belowgrade_1

Basements – the below grade story

By | Buying | No Comments

It’s usually in springtime when many people may experience problems with water seepage into their basements, but in this article we’re going to broaden that discussion considerably. BACKGROUND Basements, as we know them, are a relatively recent development in housing, and to a great extent unique to our climate. If you travel into the southern U.S. you’ll find most homes are still constructed on a concrete slab with some reinforcement near the outside edges to deal with the weight of the walls. So, why do we have basements?  It all has to do with the very cold winters and the…

Read More